Vacations. Or the awesomeness that is unwinding from the daily grind. Unwinding, however, doesn’t have to mean undoing. One or two days of hopping off the healthy train with decadent treats, extra wines and all day appetizers won’t undo the effort you’ve put into working out and eating clean (or healthy in some way), but a week or more, well, that’s another story.
When your traveling, especially on vacation, keeping up with healthy habits sans a few days of unbridled fun can be challenging. Even more so if you’re staying with people who may not share your enthusiasm for baked kale and a morning exercise induced sweat fest. If you’re looking at more than a weekend away, here are some ways you can stay somewhat on track, still have fun, and not be a buzz kill.
- It’s All in Your Head: Set your mind to making healthy food and drink choices. You’re far more likely to stick with moderation if you’ve set your mind to do so beforehand. Likewise, pack your workout gear. Just having it with you and at hand will help you get up and get moving.
- Give Yourself A Break: I live by the 80/20 rule. Stick to healthy habits 80% of the time, and let loose 20%. This translates into one day a week of eat and drink whatever the heck you please. Decide which day (or two, you are on vacation) this will be for you on your trip, and hold out for treats and extra Margaritas for that day.
- Be the Designated Grocery Shopper: If you’re staying in a place with other people where you’ll be making meals and snacks, keep your favorite healthy go-to snacks and meal ideas at hand by being the designated grocery shopper. If everyone wants cookies and crackers to be in abundance, you can choose the kinds that won’t lure you in at a weak moment. Take it one step further and plan out the meals in advance, making healthy options available for each meal. Check out this week of light and healthy Summer dinners.
- Barring Dining at a Five Star Restaurant (in which case, eat it all and love every minute of it) Look at Restaurant Menus Before You Go Out and Decide Ahead of Time What You’ll Have: It’s way too easy to hop on the baked Brie bandwagon. Make the decision in advance to opt for the healthiest menu choices and you’ll be far more likely to avoid temptation.
- Find a Workout Buddy, or Pre-Pay to Use a Fitness Center or Exercise Studio: Find someone in the group who likes working out as well and help keep each other motivated. Otherwise, pre-pay a fitness center or exercise studio (think Pilates, Toga, Barre). You’ll be far more likely to go if you’ve already bought the time or classes!
- If All of Your Friends Jumped Off a Bridge…: If you know the night before that the next morning you want to go for a run or hit up a local Yoga studio, but everyone else is tying one on, have a couple drinks, then switch to water or just quietly excuse yourself. There’s no reason to feel awkward or to make a big deal out of it. It’s just not the right night for you for bridge jumping.
It’s not impossible to keep on track with your fitness goals while on vaca, far rom it in fact. It just takes setting your mind to it and a little pre-planning. Happy travels 🙂